Significant progress in EXMceuticals Portuguese Operations with R&D facility, New Project and Pilot-Scale Refinery
Vancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - July 31, 2019) - EXMceuticals Inc. (CSE: EXM) (FSE: A2PAW2) (the "Company" or "EXM"), a cultivator and producer of high-grade cannabis extracted ingredients for the pharmaceutical, therapeutic, nutraceutical, and cosmetic industries, is pleased to provide an update on its Portuguese activities.
Significant progress has been achieved in reaching EXM's technical and scientific objectives as regards its activities in Portugal.
- New R&D facility: Construction of new Research & Development (R&D) facility, located inside the Tec Labs Innovation Centre, the incubator of the Faculty of Sciences of University of Lisbon, Portugal, by EXMceuticals Portugal is complete and the new R&D facility is operational.
- New CBD and terpene research opportunities for various industries: The new R&D facility will enable research into CBD and terpene formulations for the nutraceutical, cosmetics and wellness industries. In the medium term the R&D activities will also target pharmaceutical grade formulations.
- New research project: EXMceuticals Portugal has commenced a new research project under the Portugal 2020 program, which is being executed in the new R&D facility. Portugal 2020 is a Framework Program between Portugal and the European Commission that brings together the five European Structural and Investment Funds.
- Importation, research and development licensing: EXMceuticals Portugal is in the process of obtaining, from INFARMED, the Portuguese National Authority of Medicines and Health Products, research and development authorizations allowing EXM to import cannabis-based ingredients. This will also permit EXM to refine, manufacture and export cannabis-based medicinal products from the pilot-scale refining facility built as part of the new R&D lab. The pilot-scale refinery and manufacturing activities are included in the submitted Portugal 2020 R&D project.
- New R&D analytical procedures: Initial R&D activities regarding CBD extraction, purification and associated analytical procedures have been ongoing for several months, in collaboration with local universities, and have already identified several innovative methods of streamlining and improving the various processes.
- Jobs creation: In the next 12 months, EXM plans to create over 80 highly qualified technical & scientific research jobs in Portugal as we move from our current R&D pilot-scale production towards industrial-scale production and we increase the number and scope of the projects undertaken in our R&D facilities.
Jonathan Summers, Chairman of EXM, added, "Our dedicated R&D activities are now fully functional, and these offer huge scope to create original and unique formulations that will benefit the emerging CBD industry as well as consumers. Our pilot refining and manufacturing capabilities will be fully operational within a few weeks once fully licenced. EXM continues to work very closely with the relevant Portuguese authorities, especially INFARMED, regarding our Portuguese activities. The Portuguese regulators and relevant governmental agencies continue to be very supportive and engaged."
This is the first step towards creating EXM's European base for R&D and distribution. The company plans to create an environment for advanced research innovation, training and collaboration with the industry. ''Molecules from cannabis are extraordinary and the scientific community around the world is starting to understand the enormous potential of the plant,'' said EXM Chief Innovation Officer Susana Santos. "Our R&D facility includes state of the art equipment and is aimed ensuring the highest standards of quality assurance that will guarantee that our client's customers are always protected and their expectations fully satisfied."
ON BEHALF OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF EXMCEUTICALS INC.
Michel Passebon, Chief Executive Officer and Director
For further information contact:
Europe - Jane Glover: +44 (0) 203 757 4990
North America - Mélanie Guillemette: +1 819 668 2734
FOR MORE UPDATES ON THE COMPANY
EXM's activities are focused on the sustainable cultivation of cannabis and hemp, and the production of high-grade ingredients for the pharmaceutical, therapeutical, nutraceutical and cosmetic industries. The Company proposes to sell the produced ingredients to international markets.
EXM, through its subsidiary, Prime Ranchers Limited, EXM is able to cultivate and process cannabis in Uganda at an industrial scale. The Uganda processing facilities are installed and will produce and export pharmaceutical, therapeutical, nutraceutical and cosmetic grade cannabis ingredients.
EXM owns a provisional license in Malawi enabling the cultivation of 50Ha of Cannabis and is in the process of obtaining a full license, in partnership with a large local agro producer. Please see previous press releases for more detailed information on EXM Malawi activities.
EXM, through its subsidiary and in-country partner, holds the rights to a cannabis license in the Kuba Kingdom, Mweka, Kasai Province, Democratic Republic of Congo, and the rights to a land concession for the cultivation of cannabis and hemp, and processing and export of high-grade cannabis extracted ingredients.
EXM has also submitted applications and undertaken negotiations with local governments and partners in Ethiopia, Zambia, Eswatini and Burundi, in order to obtain licences to permit the cultivation of cannabis and hemp, as well as the processing, transformation and export of psychotropic and non-psychotropic cannabinoid ingredients. In Ethiopia, EXM is in its final stage of negotiation with the government for an agro-industrial park, of 4,000 hectares (9,880 acres) encompassing a free trade zone, for which EXM has already obtain land rights over 2,000 hectares (4,940 acres) in the Amhara region.
Neither the CSE nor the FSE has approved nor disapproved the contents of this news release. Neither the CSE, nor the FSE accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
Certain statements and information included in this press release that, to the extent they are not historical fact, constitute forward-looking information or statements (collectively, "forward-looking statements") within the meaning of applicable securities legislation. Forward-looking statements, including those identified by the expressions "anticipate", "believe", "plan", "estimate", "expect", "intend", "may", "should" and similar expressions to the extent they relate to the Company or its management. Forward-looking statements are based on the reasonable assumptions, estimates, analysis and opinions of management made in light of its experience and its perception of trends, current conditions and expected developments, as well as other factors that management believes to be relevant and reasonable in the circumstances at the date that such statements are made, but which may prove to be incorrect.
Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause the actual results, performance or achievements of the Company to differ materially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Such risks and uncertainties include, among others, the risk factors included in the Company's Filing Statement dated as of January 28, 2019, which is available under the Company's SEDAR profile at www.sedar.com. Accordingly, readers should not place undue reliance on any such forward-looking statements. Further, any forward-looking statement speaks only as of the date on which such statement is made. New factors emerge from time to time, and it is not possible for the Company's management to predict all of such factors and to assess in advance the impact of each such factor on the Company's business or the extent to which any factor, or combination of factors, may cause actual results to differ materially from those contained in any forward-looking statements. The Company does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect information, events, results, circumstances or otherwise after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events, except as required by law including securities laws. This news release does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities of the Company.
To view the source version of this press release, please visit https://www.newsfilecorp.com/release/46638